Tyne Cot

Tyne Cot Memorial - Click on the image to enlarge it. Use your back arrow to return

Tyne%20Cot.jpg

(Photograph by permission of the Commonwealth War Graves Commission)

The TYNE COT MEMORIAL to the Missing is one of four such memorials in Belgian Flanders, covering the area known as the Ypres Salient. Tyne Cot marks the furthest point reached by Commonwealth troops until nearly the end of the war. The Tyne Cot cemetery (of which the memorial forms one boundary) surrounds a large captured German pill-box used as an advanced dressing station, upon which the Cross of Sacrifice is placed (at the suggestion of King George V on his visit in 1922). There are three other pill-boxes in the cemetery.

The original battlefield cemetery of 343 graves was greatly enlarged after the Armistice when remains were brought in from the battlefields of Passchendaele and Langemarck, and from a few smaller burial grounds. It is now the largest Commonwealth war cemetery in the world in terms of burials.

The Memorial bears the names of almost 35,000 officers and men whose graves are not known. Designed by Sir Herbert Baker with sculpture by Joseph Armitage and F.V. Blundstone, it was unveiled by Sir Gilbert Dyett on 20 June 1927.

The names are inscribed on vertical Panels, clearly visible in the photograph, where the Fallen are listed by regiment and rank. 

Back to Barker E.

Back to Gjers L.

Back to Richardson S.E.H.

Back to The Fallen - the Dead of 1914-18

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License