Sailly Sur La Lys Canadian Cemetery

Sailly Sur La Lys Canadian Cemetery - Photograph by permission of the Commonwealth War Graves Commission

sailly-sur-la%20lys.jpg

The village of Sailly-sur-la-Lys lies in the Pas de Calais approximately 7 kilometres west of Armentieres.

Sailly Church was burnt during the open fighting of October 1914, when French cavalry and British and German infantry fought on the Lys, but from the winter of 1914-1915 to the spring of 1918 the village was comparatively untouched. It was captured by the Germans on 9 April 1918, and it remained in their hands until the beginning of September.

The cemetery was begun by Canadian units in March 1915, and used as a front-line cemetery until July 1916; it contains 313 Commonwealth burials of the First World War of which just one remains unidentified.

The cemetery was designed by Sir Herbert Baker.

11-60_M003.pdf

Click on either image to enlarge it

return to this page by using your browser back arrow

Back to Henderson A.G.

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License