Hibers Trench Cemetery

Hibers Trench Cemetery, Wancourt - Click to enlarge image

hiberstrench.jpg

Photograph by permission of the Commonwealth War Graves Commission

Wancourt is a village approximately 8 kilometres south-east of Arras. Hibers Trench Cemetery is about one kilometre north-west of the village, which was captured by Commonwealth troops on 12 April 1917, and Wancourt Tower was taken by the 50th (Northumbrian) Division on the 13th. At the end of March 1918, the village and its neighbourhood were lost during the German advance, but they were recovered by the Canadian Corps on the following 26 August.

Hibers Trench Cemetery was made in April 1917, by the 50th Division Burial Officer and used until the following October. Hibers Trench Cemetery contains 136 burials and commemorations of the First World War. Six of the burials are unidentified and there are special memorials to two casualties who are known to be buried among them.

The cemetery was designed by G H Goldsmith.

Back to Shore F.

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License