Fricourt New Military Cemetery

Fricourt New Military Cemetery - photograph by permission of the Commonwealth War Graves Commission

FricourtNew.jpg

Fricourt New Military Cemetery is in fact four big graves, made by the 10th West Yorkshire Regiment after the capture of Fricourt in July 1916, and a few single graves of September 1916. The graves contain multiple burials, a stratagem necessitated by the scale of losses sustained as the West Yorkshires went into the attack.

The cemetery contains 210 First World War burials, 26 of them unidentified. 159 of the graves belong to the 10th West Yorkshire Regiment. The vast majority of the men buried here fell together on 1st July 1916.

The cemetery was designed by A J S Hutton.

Back to Richmond J.

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License