Carnoy Military Cemetery

Carnoy Military Cemetery - Photgraph by permission of the Commonwealth War Graves Commission


Carnoy is a village just north of the road from Albert to Peronne, about 10 kilometres south-east of Albert.

The cemetery was begun in August, 1915, by the 2nd King's Own Scottish Borderers and the 2nd King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry, when the village was immediately South of the British front line. It continued in use by troops holding this sector until July, 1916, when Field Ambulances came up and a camp was established on the higher ground North of the village. It was closed in March, 1917. From March to August, 1918, it was in German hands, and a few British graves were made between the exisitng British graves and the entrance.

There are now over 850, 1914-18 war casualties commemorated in this site. Of these, nearly 30 are unidentified and special memorials are erected to 17 soldiers and one airman from the United Kingdom, known or believed to be buried among them.

The cemetery covers an area of 4,441 square metres and is enclosed by a red brick wall.

Back to Bell C.

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License