Boulogne Eastern Cemetery

Boulogne Eastern Cemetery, Pas de Calais - Photograph by permission of the Commonwealth War Graves Commission

boulEcem.jpg

Boulogne, was one of the three base ports most extensively used by the Commonwealth armies on the Western Front throughout the First World War. It was closed and cleared on the 27 August 1914 when the Allies were forced to fall back ahead of the German advance, but was opened again in October and from that month to the end of the war, Boulogne and Wimereux formed one of the chief hospital areas.

Until June 1918, the dead from the hospitals at Boulogne itself were buried in the Cimetiere de L'Est, one of the town cemeteries, the Commonwealth graves forming a long, narrow strip along the right hand edge of the cemetery. In the spring of 1918, it was found that space was running short in the Eastern Cemetery in spite of repeated extensions to the south, and the site of a new cemetery at Terlincthun was chosen.

Boulogne Eastern Cemetery contains 5,577 Commonwealth burials of the First World War and of these only 45 remain unidentified.

The Commonwealth plots were designed by Charles Holden.

Note: Due to the sandy soil, the headstones in this cemetery are all laid flat

Back to Barr F.A.

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License