Aubigny Communal Cemetery

Aubigny Communal Cemetery - Photograph by permission of the Commonwealth War Graves Commission

aubigny.jpg

Aubigny-en-Artois is a village approximately 15 Kms north-west of Arras on the road (N39) to St. Pol.

Before March, 1916, Aubigny was in the area of the French Tenth Army, and 327 French soldiers were buried in the Extension to the West of what is now Plot IV. From March 1916 to the Armistice, Aubigny was held by Commonwealth troops and burials were made in the Extension until September 1918. The 42nd Casualty Clearing Station used it during the whole period, the 30th in 1916 and 1917, the 24th and 1st Canadian in 1917 (during the capture of Vimy Ridge by the Canadian Corps) and the 57th in 1918.

The Extension now contains 2,771 Commonwealth burials of the First World War and 227 French burials made prior to March 1916, as well as 64 German war graves.

The Extension was designed by Sir Reginald Blomfield.

Back to Taylor T.E.

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License